Beautician School students practice bridal makeup and hair styling.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed
me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to
proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind
will see, that the oppressed will be set free”
(Luke 4:18 NLT)
In India, women’s marriages are often arranged when they are quite young. After their weddings, they frequently find themselves trapped in difficult relationships, enduring horrific domestic abuse. The Kolkata Lighthouse Center Beautician School gives these women a skill, which translates into income for their family, and provides dignity and self-worth.
When they graduate from the program, the women receive an official diploma recognized by the state of West Bengal.
“I was married at a young age and found that my husband was a drunkard. My husband used to beat me regularly. One day he beat me so severely that I was hospitalized. Later he left me. This Center literally saved my life.”
- Today and tomorrow the Beautician School students take their final exams. Please pray for their confidence and success.
- That God brings at risk women to the Lighthouse Center, and that no matter what their previous life’s experiences or beliefs, they absorb the love of Jesus and accept him as their Lord and Savior.
- For Kamma, a 15 year old girl from the Delhi Lighthouse Center. Despite her participation at the center, her parents pulled her from the program and forced her to get married. Pray that God will intervene and stop early marriages like Kamma’s.
But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O Lord,
a tower of refuge to the needy in distress.
You are a refuge from the storm
and a shelter from the heat.
(Isaiah 25:4a NLT)
When category 4 Tropical Cyclone Hudhud hit the coastal city of Visakhapatnam October 12th, life halted. 130 mile per hour winds made it impossible for people to leave their homes, depriving them of electricity, communication, and water – because the pumps are electric. More than 100 people died as a result of the storm.
ServeNow partners with a number of pastors in Visakhapatnam and surrounding villages, many of whom lost their homes and churches. The structures made of mud and thatch were destroyed, and cement buildings sustained extensive cracks in the walls and lost their roofs. Because communication was only recently restored, we are just hearing of our friends’ struggles.
- For the encouragement and physical needs of those impacted by the storm
- In thanksgiving that the Lord is their shelter and their refuge
- For those suffering from the subsequent onslaught of waterborne diseases
- That electricity is restored and that clean water becomes available immediately
- For the $313 needed to bring a medical camp into the affected area. (If you’d like to help cover that cost, click here or on the donate button on the sidebar)
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
(Romans 10:17 NIV)
The recently opened Lighthouse Center in Katmandu, Nepal was established to aid downtrodden women and children. The tailoring school shares God’s love through teaching His Word and skills that allow participants to graduate with a useful vocation. Though she has not yet accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior, Pabitra shares how meaningful her experience is:
“I am from the disadvantaged community and there was no way for me to pay to get life skill training like Tailoring. Once I graduate from this course, I will have the skills to do something in my village for the survival of my family, and avoid the fake promises of traffickers. Thank you Serve Now Nepal for helping us in our need.” – Pabitra
- Along with a few other students, ask God to soften Pabitra’s heart, and bring them all into the family of believers.
- That God’s light shines brightly as the community around the center sees how disadvantaged women and children are treated with dignity and honor.
- For the protection and safety of the Lighthouse Center staff
“Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.”
Matthew 18:10 NLT)
The Hyderabad Lighthouse Center hosts a children’s facility dedicated to housing, treating, and educating HIV-positive children. Cast out by their relatives, these kids would be left to beg on the streets if it weren’t for this facility. Last month, the ServeNow team rejoiced as they witnessed children thriving in their new community.
- That the children at the Hyderabad center feel the love of Jesus through their caretakers
- For the ability of ServeNow to expand the center to house, treat and educate even more children in the coming year.
- For the additional funding needed to meet the needs of the HIV-positive center
- It grieves us to tell you that one of the children, Laxmi, succumbed to tuberculosis and died October 21st. Please pray for friends and caregivers as they mourn the loss of this sweet child of Jesus.